What Is Impact Travel?
Socially responsible, as well as environmentally responsible tourism in Nepal is our mission. That means tourism that actually makes a positive social difference to the people of Nepal, rather than exploiting them and their environment with an unsustainable tourism industry.
That’s a challenging mission in a country famous for being a cheap destination and gateway to the Himalayas.
Who Can Do It?
Our Impact Travel Experiences are for individuals, friends, groups and families. Enjoy the famous Nepalese hospitality in a local homestay, participate directly in volunteer projects and then explore Nepal’s epic highlights and hidden gems. You volunteer directly with our partners Volunteer Society of Nepal. They have been running such programs since 2004 and welcome you like you’re family!
Why Impact Travel?
People don’t talk about this, but make no mistake, Nepal suffers from overtourism, with little regard for the effects on Nepalese society. Sadly, these impacts have a much broader global significance;
- 20% of the global population depends on the Himalayas for water;
- This majestic range is integral in global climate patterns;
- It is one of the biodiversity hotspots of the world.
Whether we like to admit it or not, tourism affects Nepal and the Himalayas in measurable ways. We all need to up our game because tourism to Nepal isn’t going to stop!
You're improving how tourism impacts locals by...
For Nepalese guides, porters and staff who are the unsung heroes of Himalayan travel, widely exploited by the tourism industry.
Your money goes directly to Volunteer Society Nepal funding schools, womens centre and the disabled.
Developing education programs with VSN to educate about overtourism and the need for change at grass roots level.
Creating a direct education to employment stream in sustainable tourism and nurturing talent.
How It Works
You sign up to volunteer for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- We place you with one of our experienced homestay families whose homes are volunteer ready. Some can comfortably accommodate entire families and groups and love to do so, they’re really friendly.
- The needs of solo female travellers are fully catered for and are typically placed with other female volunteers.
- We provide a “soft landing” in Kathmandu by taking you in and making sure all your needs are met.
- You then participate in a 3 day cultural orientation program including basic survival Nepali language tuition.
- Then we spend the next 2 to 3 days showing you some of the main iconic attractions of Kathmandu while teaching you how to use the public transport system.
- That’s you ready for the volunteer placement of your choice.
We Can Place Groups
Volunteering You Can Do
- Special Needs
- Child Care
- Women’s Groups
- Physiotherapy/Occupational Therapy
- Train, Teach or Assist in Schools
- Manual Work/Construction
- Medical Care
- Elderly Care
- Groups and Family Volunteering
I found VSN very professional and well organised. Very friendly people who helped me with everything. I even got Nepali language lessons! I had such a wonderful time in Nepal thanks to VSN and its nice people.
~ Filip F., USA
Helping others gave me a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. I really enjoyed the Nepali lifestyle, it’s a simple way to be happy. Being a volunteer in Nepal is a good way to experience the local culture. I hope to return to this magical country!
~ Leila D., China
VSN was very supportive. I felt very safe with VSN as they responded immediately when I called or sent a message. They frequently visited me while I was working. I am so happy that my host family was so nice they treated me as their family member.
~ Maureen K., NL
Create Your Own
Custom Volunteer Proposal
HERE’S WHY YOU’LL HAVE THE BEST NEPAL EXPERIENCE
∗ Experienced Local Experts – who are passionate about making your journey unforgettable
∗ No Hidden Charges – what we quote you is what you pay us
∗ Peace Of Mind – we’re here for you 24/7 and so are your guides
∗ Quality Guarantee – if your experience is unsatisfactory, we’ll refund your booking deposit or 30%
General Member of Nepal Mountaineering Association
Licensed by Nepal Tourism Board & Department of Tourism
Proud Member of Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal
Registered with Company Registration Office, Government of Nepal
The Volunteer Society of Nepal